Thursday, November 6, 2008

Weekly Update: 5 Nov. O8

Election day morning. I awake to gloomy skies and a slight nip in the air, despite the prognostication of "mostly sunny, and warm, a beautiful election day" by the local weather gurus. Cup of coffee in hand, Mrs. America and I venture to our polling station. Happy to say, no problems at our precinct, while we were there. The line crept, but steadily. We could have avoided the line all together by voting with an absentee ballot. But there's something about actually "pulling the lever" ON election day, that seems to enhance the feeling of civic duty; expression, and celebration of our freedoms that are anything but "free".
I reflect on the images from Afghanistan and Iraq of broadly grinning, first time voters emerging from their polls, holding up one ink stained finger as they head through the parking lot, back to their donkey carts for their miles long journey to their mud huts in some unspecific region of the vast deserts and mountains. Partly borne of pride, partly borne of a newly instilled sense of freedom, and with a barely noticeable sense of defiance. A glimmer somewhere in their eyes that says... "I have tasted democracy, and I will not relinquish it".
My finger is not purple, but I do receive the much coveted "I voted" sticker, and that same succulent aftertaste that lingers on your tongue after savoring a hot, juicy, steaming serving of liberty.
On this day, however, my serving of liberty would be slightly over-cooked. A little on the dry side.
The chilly, overcast atmosphere would remain throughout the day, and into the next. With the results from this election now evident, I wonder if we will see the sun again any time soon. Stories that I have heard regaled by former citizens of East Germany, and Poland (under communist rule) edge into the periphery of my mind. Their weather was always bleak. A pall cast over their entire climate (politically, socially, and environmentally), as a constant reminder of their oppression.
To dwell on my "loss" is an exercise in futility. I have bitched and moaned enough. I know that the only choice I have is to "suck it up" and forge ahead. It is for this reason that we return to Camp Edgewater. The core of our element is not at it's motivational apex, but we fight on.
As expected, the hippies gloat. That's O.K., though, they will soon learn the meaning of the term "buyers remorse". The peace creeps slightly outnumbered us this day. Most of their new supporters immediately chime in with nothing but insults, and poorly crafted ones at that. I actually enjoyed the tete-a-tete with the upside down flag waving, nescient, (expletive deleted) who decided to stand directly across the street from me, and dip his toe into the waters of "your Mamma" jokes. O.K., bud... here we go! I do so enjoy low brow battles of "wits". Thanks for cheering me up with your blatant ignorance and (albeit, childishly, enjoyable) confrontation. After he makes an unsolicited comment regarding Dick Cheney, I offered to take my new rival on a hunting trip with me and "Uncle Dick". He (less than politely) turned down the invitation. It was a bit of a chuckle when this particular agitator started attempting to use some of the jokes that I had already used on him. Is this a "redistribution of comedy? His jokes are not as funny as mine, so he should get to use some of my jokes against me? Well, in insults, and in comedy, the first one with the "zinger" wins. Unless, of course, your competitor develops a better product, and can out market you. It's a lesson in capitalism, using wit as currency. This particular hippie was "currency deprived" (just embracing the new PC world in which we celebrate).
On the surface, it would seem that it was a bad day for our unit. But we chose to stand our ground, and for that, we were rewarded. Our friend Theo has returned. I referred to him in last weeks update as "The Guy". I did this out of respect for his concern about being ostracized by his co-workers, who also travel the same route, and would surely see him supporting our side. Theo, however has concluded that he wants to stand up for what he believes in, and will not succumb to pressures from those who oppose him. He cites us as inspiration, but I must reciprocate. There have been brief moments in OPOY history, that I have become tired. I have never doubted our ability to wage this war on hippies, and I have never given contemplation to failure... just, occaisionally, tired. Every time that this feeling surfaced, so did an event to renew my vigor. Theo was the event this week, in the aftermath of the election. A fresh mind with fresh ideas, and his strong desire to act, have replaced my thoughts of the decision of the people, with new purpose.
Our mission was never about politics. Our mission has always been to support our troops with a display of actual support, and to counter the protests of our military, it's mission, our national symbols, and yes, even our way of life as we know it.

"Constant complaint is the poorest sort of pay for all the comforts we enjoy" - Benjamin Franklin

For all the comforts we enjoy ,due (solely) to the efforts, accomplishments, and miseries of our military, past and present, we will not complain. We will stand tall, man our lines, and continue to confront the complainers. I will not remove the "O" from my keyboard. I will not cede to the attitude that Americans cannot be successful without government assistance (case in point: B.O., [peace be upon him] himself). I will, however continue the battle at Camp Edgewater. I just wonder how long it will be before the peace creeps change their signs to "Obama lied... you know the rest."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The first time I joined the battle, I can't honestly say that I knew what I was doing. I only knew that I had to meet the Captain and his soldiers and thank them for keeping my spirits up. I am not a military man, but seeing the troops supported despite the best efforts of liberal code-pinko facists gave me courage to face the coming week. To hear that I was able to induce that same feeling to others is a lesson I will never forget.
We are going to win this fight.
There are many more of us out there than them, they are just way uglier.
See you on the battlefield.

"The Guy"